Saturday, June 15, 2013

Aside: Infuriating Errors in Textbooks

I am taking two classes this summer, and since I don't only plan on using this blog for only one class, I've got to break in with a complaint.

Last week I was reading my textbook, the cutely titled White Space is Not Your Enemy by Kim Golombisky & Rebecca Hagen and I became infuriated when it talks about "greeking" and "greek text."  The example of this text tool that they gave was  "Lorem impsum..." and the book said that

  1. IT IS GREEK
  2. IT HAS NO MEANING
Here's the thing folks, it's Latin.  I mean, come on - the letters used are part of the Latin alphabet - Greek looks very different!  AND the "lorem ipsum" was derived from a passage written by Cicero.  So at least at its core, it makes sense.  Now, it is true that often the whole passage is nonsensical - especially because there are some letters that ancient Latin writers didn't use (like J and K), but it does have true, logical origins!

I hate when textbooks lie. Especially when it's just a matter of not doing any research whatsoever.

*Please note: I have a minor in Greek and Roman Classics. I have a Master's in Technical Communication Management (and technical communication uses the Lorem Ipsum often); and I'm a purist nerd that gets upset over stuff like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment